-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Miller, Pat

Thanks to all who have commented.  It's been an education.  SNTPD
started task.  Seems simple enough.  Howsomever, neither the IP Config
guide nor Reference tells you much more than the name of the procedure,
where to find the sample, and what it does.  I.e., neither tells you how
it works or any setup you have to provide in order for it to key off an
ETR.

Surely I have to at least point something to the ETR and/or provide some
authentication?

Pat,

You don't need a Sysplex timer to do this.

The sysplex timer ensures the mainframe(s)have a consistent time. With
or without a timer you can run an SNTP task on the mainframe (its part
of TCP/IP since about z/OS 1.6), otherwise look for Keith Clapp's
excellent SNTP product.

Have your enterprise query the SNTP on the mainframe and set their
clocks off that for a consistent timestamp across your organization.

Developers are asking me if we can do this to prevent anomalies between
timestamps across platforms.  In case it's an issue, no, I don't have a
sysplex or timer.