Bob wrote:
[...]
I think our requirements are very simple:
o the simpler, and more traditional console-like, the better
o we want consoles and no other functionality
o we do not want anything Windows-based
o preferably without any sort of hard drive or other failure-prone components
o all of the terminals will be connected to Visara boxes
o they need to be coax-attached (we do not want to be at the mercy of
  our IP network.)
o they should be able to display multiple sessions (max 4) concurrently for
  operator monitoring
o they should be able to support multiple sessions (10) that the Visara
  controllers allow us to put on one coax
o must work with LCD screens
o support standard mainframe keyboard
o no mouse required
o something that will last us another 15-20 years like the 3471's did
o we are considering Visara's UTC-L devices (any experience with them?)

Any other suggestions on devices that you use and like?

I think, your requirements are not possible to fit:
(the answer are 1:1 with the requirements)
1. There are no more "traditional consoles". Of course, many 3278-like are still in use, but you cannot buy anything new.
2. OK
3. If you want something brand-new (not from second-hand), then you have very limited choice: Windows-based PC or Linux-based PC (rare). 4. See above. PCs are not so failure-prone, I buried more terminals than PCs in my operations room. YMMV.
5. Well. Don't ask us, read Visara documentation or ask Visara guy...
6. NO WAY. Maybe Visara still support it, but no one else. Any COAX-based device belong to history. BTW: You can have your own *physically separated* ethernet newtork. The protocol would be TCP?IP, but it doesn't hurt. Eth. switch (good one) costs less than $100.
7. You can have multiple sessions on any PC. As much as you want.
8. 10 or 4 ?
9. Every current PC does work with LCD.
10. What does it mean ? "Mainframe" layout ? Well, you can simply map the keys as you want, or buy a keyboard looking like real mainframe keyboard. The keyboard costs approx. $100-200, while regular PC-keyboard approx. $10. 11. OK, no mouse. THe price will be a little bit higher - special requirement <vbg> 12. One of my PC's works as a console/terminal for 8 years. I've got it from someone, who disposed old equipment. Pentium 166. Still working. But seriously: Nobody could give you such warranty. Lifetime in IT is much shorter.

In general you have three choices:
1. Simply agree with nowadays world, forget about COAX, hard terminals and start using PC, ethernet, etc. 2. Buy some equipment on second hand market. It could be set of 3174's, 2074's (it is PC and supports ethernet connections only) or Visara's and some 3278 "hard" terminals.
3. Do nothing and live with your equipment as 10 years ago.

HTH
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2007 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
opacony) wynosi 118.064.140 z. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchwa XVI WZ z dnia 21.05.2003
r., kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA moe ulec podwyszeniu do kwoty 118.760.528
z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym bd w caoci opacone.