On Mon, 21 May 2007 22:41:55 -0400, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

>At 18:43 -0500 on 05/21/2007, Paul Gilmartin wrote about Re: Why is
>there JOB scope for DSN ENQ's anyway?:
>
>There is a simple reason. The ENQs are done before the job is started
>so that all of the datasets are available to the steps. If you
>release and reacquire the ENQs, there is a possibility that you will
>not be able to reacquire them (due to some other job grabbing them

You will reacquire them when that other job DEQs them.  This is
scarcely different from waiting for resources before the first
step, save that the potential damage from cancelling a job between
steps is greater than from cancelling before the first step.

>between your DEQ and ENQ) or even worse, ending up in a deadly
>embrace (where two jobs each want the same ENQs but can not get

No.  Deadly embrace is not possible because the job requesting
resources holds none.

>them). The way it works now, you wait until everything is available
>and then run, doing DEQs for those datasets that are no longer needed.
>
>The question of holding a Exclusive ENQ when you only need a Shared
>ENQ (ie: Exclusive in Step1 and continuing to hold Exclusive when
>only needing Shared in subsequent steps) is due to a poor ENQ design

(a man sharing my own convictions)

>Note: I acknowledge that there also needs to be updates to the ENQ
>and ISGENQ macros to request this option and a new flag bit in their
>Parm fields. That and what happens if you make the request on a
>system that is missing the support is the bigger problem than making
>the few lines of code change to support the capability.

The format of the new parameter list needs to be such that it is invalid
on a system that is missing the support.

-- gil