Recovery at a DR site is the same thing - 9 mod-3's vs 1 27 (insert shrug here).
Maybe not. If the DR site has sufficient tape drives, you could do 9 concurrent restores of -3s versus 1 restore of a -27.
As far as an onsite recovery goes in the case of a volume failure, I'll admit that recovering a single mod-3 would be faster than having to do any entire mod-27; but in the 7+ years I've been in this shop, I don't remember having to recover a single volume because of an actual volume failure. I've recovered volumes for other reasons, but generally the time involved there isn't concern. So of course, here I'm knocking on wood as I'm as superstitious as the next person.
If you have to recover one or a few datasets from a backup, restore from a -27 can take longer than from a -3. Can be an issue when some over-excited application manager is watching over your shoulder.

We did get caught short when we started as we didn't anticipate how Big we really needed to make the VTOC, Index, & VVDS.
What sizes did you end up with? We have found that users often greatly oversize the VTOC, etc.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR