On 1 Aug 2007 23:33:41 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Clark,
>
>Could this really be a true story? The few boxes that attach to mainframes
>would have triggered a SIM the moment someone unlatched and pulled the drive
>- a highlighted, non-scrolling error message on the console.

The drives were stolen in February of 2003 from ISM, an IBM subsidiary
and the implication was that at least some of them were mainframe
related.  This story
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2003/02/03/ism_030203.html from the
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation didn't have those implications but
other stories at the time did.  For example, while the subsequent
links don't work this gives more of the flavor
http://www.priva-c.com/privacyhorizon/lessonslearned_ism.asp .  I
suspect that this was a swapped out drive.  Given that more than one
company was involved, it looks like it was a drive in some kind of
RAID configuration that had parts of logical drives on the physical
drive.