On 8/10/2007 4:10 PM, McKown, John wrote:
Does anybody know why the people who designed SMF decided to encode the
date and time as FL4'hundredths of seconds after midnight' plus
PL4'0cyyddd'? Why not just put in the STCK value? STCK is guaranteed to
be unique on a system (and on a sysplex). I ask because I want to relate
all the SMF records generated by a specific job together. Unfortunately,
I have some people who submit 4 or 5 jobs with the same name which end
up with the same SMF "joblog" value (they are basically IEFBR14 jobs).
If SMF used STCK, then the STCK value alone could be used to guarantee
uniqueness.

I believe the time in SMF records (for a job identification) is the time the job was processed on the card reader. And of course, in the days where we had physical card readers, I doubt you would have easily gotten two jobs with the same date/time value, simply due to the physical delays associated with reading cards. Though I suppose, with short enough jobs and a fast enough reader you might have been able to manage it even then. I don't know what the time between cards was on the fastest card readers.

        Walt