Dean,

Bob has a good point. You can't be SMS managed unless a STORCLAS is
assigned. The way I read the IDC3009I massage is that SMS managed volumes
are specified for a dataset that is not SMS eligible (i.e. Does not have a
STORCLAS).

I'd give up trying to diagnose you DATACLAS routines for now and check that
you are getting a STORCLAS. I'll hazard a guess that you are not specifying
a VOLSER in the ISPF 3.2 allocation and that's why it worked. Is your batch
allocation getting a STORCLAS, and if so does have the Guaranteed Space
attribute set on (hence the mismatched VOLSERs).

In the meantime lose the FSPC(33 33), or at least just keep the CA free
space. This will give you some breathing space to keep you back from the 4GB
limit. Then you'll have time to get the SMS test utility working and figure
out what is going wrong.

Ron