>I suggest that a "very strong innate curiosity" is insufficient.  A good
>systems programmer must have a virtually insatiable curiosity.  I sometimes
>wonder whether any wholly sane individual would seek to go into the field of
>systems programming.

OK ... there's alot of self-motivation that goes into being good in any
reasonably challenging career.  However, let's not get too carried away with
ourselves.

We don't leap tall buildings in a single bound, we aren't faster than
locomotives.

There are many, many fields that are far more stressful, and there are a
significant number of careers that require considerably more knowledge (and
responsibility) than systems programming, so let's keep things in perspective.

Adam