-- snip --
1. Ontop for EMEA customers: I think ontop is dead in EMEA. IBM
consistently refused to use ontop to look at a dump, always demanding the
dump to be ftp'd in. That was (and still is) a nuisance. A colleague then
wrote a program that allows us to ftp directly to IBM (don't ask me how),
but without it we would still send cartridges.
We have now deleted the environment.
-- snip --

I prefer the ftp method to ontop. Once you set up a job to terse and send
the dump to ftp.emea.inm.com it works quite well. With the old ontop
method, there were constant problems with the user_id passwords and racf
access.

-- snip --
2. I have just done some testing for standalone dump to a large dasd data
set (and fallen flat on my face while I was at it).
A word of warning: The UCB address(es) of the DASD data set are put into
the preallocated DASD data set. Make sure they don't change! (This may be
what the paper refers to as hiperswap, and I don't know what it is.) We
mirror our DASD and when we swapped, the ucb address for each volume
changed to its mirror while the former mirror became the primary. This
failed sadump spectacularly! (with a message that didn't tell me anything
under 1.8. I am told it changed to something meaningful with 1.9) We have
now moved that data set to non-mirrored DASD.
-- snip --

Hyperswap is one of the best things that have happened to reduce DASD
outages. It works very well.

But. Whether it was a hyperswap or a normal mirror swap, you have to be
aware that the DASD device addresses have changed. GDPS takes care of this
when LPARs are IPL'd (primary and secondary IPL information is primed).

For SADMP, I would still aim to mirror all DASD and have separate volumes
prepared for SADMP usage on the primary and SADMP usage on the secondary
side. Set up separate procedures for starting it depending on whether you
are running on the primary or on the secondary DASD (you always need to be
aware of where your DASD currently is!). If you hardcode only a primary
device number for SADMP, what do you use when your primary DASD is really
hosed?

--
John