On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 19:07:07 +0000, Ted MacNEIL
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>IIRC, VTAM only uses CTC's and not XCF.

VTAM dynamic XCF support went in about 2.7 or 2.8.
(I could be thinking TCP/IP support.  VTAM's support may have
been earlier.)  If you already had APPN support you automatically
got APPN connectivity (whether you wanted it or not) as soon as
you had 2 VTAMs at that level in the Sysplex.

>>Second question: a Basic Sysplex connects with CTCs. Do I need
CTCs in a Parallel Sysplex or does the CF entirely replace the CTCs?

>You still need the CTCs.

If this is strictly a VTAM question, the answer is "No" (for APPN).
In a Sysplex (even basic, not necessarily parallel) you automatically
have dynamic XCF connectivity as long as you have XCF signalling
amongst the MVS images.

As Skip said earlier in this thread, you probably ought to have
the CTCs for backup.  And last I saw, IBM was still saying that VTAM
CTCs outperform XCF.  (And last I knew people understanding XCF
signalling say that can't be true unless the VTAM overhead is terrible.)

Pat O'Keefe