Miklos Szigetvari wrote:

To gather trace data from an application I can select GTF or CTRACE to write external trace data
 From the speed and  overhead which is the better choise ?

Apologies to those of you seeing this twice. I responded first to my local newsgroup feed.

I agree with Mark Jacobs in recommending CTRACE over GTF. GTF exploits the monitor call instruction and the limited monitor call masking that was designed in the mid-1960s. Regrettably, as the system has grown more complex, the reliance made by GTF on the lowest-level serialization technique used by z/OS, disablement, has made it less desirable than letting components employ serialization as decentralized as possible during tracing - the CTRACE approach.

Unauthorized CTRACE APIs allow you to start exploiting CTRACE by (1) supplying a CTRACE statement in IPCS's parmlib input, (2) ensure that trace tables get dumped when appropriate, (3) write a component find routine, and (4) use trace entries that CTRACE's default formatting can format tolerably. That's not a huge cost of entry, and subsequent action can improve your results incrementally. The starting point of in-storage tracing lets your component tolerate tracing that would be excessive if an attempt were made to write entries to a data set, one action that you might contemplate as an enhancement once you have implemented your tracing and tuned the level to balance density with intrusiveness.

Bob Wright - z/OS Service Aids