Yes if the index does not have secondary extents I would give it secondary
extents and think it may fix your problem. If I remember correctly adding
records to the end will not cause a split until you fill up that extent or
delete one out of the middle but if you insert records you cause the split
sooner and fill you the extent sooner because of the wasted space.

Michael Saraco
Systems Consultant
Baer Consulting, Inc.
Work - 507-526-2566