-----------------<snip>--------------------
Why don't we take up a collection to buy an old CPU, zOS and all else needed, then host IBM-MAIN, RACF-L, CICS-L, VM-L, DB2-L etc etc. Manpower to support it shouldn't be an issue.

Possible? Would be a great proof of concept. How much would each of us have to pony up?

Imagine the possibilities. Maybe IBM, CA, BMC, FDR et all would be willing to help out.....
Interesting thought. Also need to consider site selection and planning and operational costs. Come up with power and cooling requirements and I'll run some costs, using spreadsheets I've used for that purpose in the past.

If there's an IBMer watching, I'll need the current formulae for converting cooling requirements in air and water to electricity dollars and cents.

If there's a site selected, I'll need floor space costs and electricity costs.

I got time to do the math; get me the numbers. IIRC, our z/800 cost around $0.40 per hour, not counting floor space rental.