Looks like a simple case of "stacking" too many MODIFY commands in a
single jobstream.  In the job output they showed me, there are 1,012
MODIFY commands "stacked" for the same "terminal" (the INSTREAM console,
in this case).  Since CIBCTR cannot exceed 255, it appears that the CICS
region simply "got lapped" before the batch job ran out of commands to
issue.

Thanks also to John McKown and Chris Craddock for pointing me to the
right manuals.

    -jc-