Hi, All,

In preparation for z/OS 1.9 we're re-evaluating our paging subsystem
configurations.  Currently we're using the same size and configuration
carried forward from "time immemorial", mainly because it still "works":
Three (3) page datasets of 2,000 cylinders each, with one "in reserve"
(available for PAGEADD) on each LPAR.

Now we're looking at exploiting some of the newer "stuff" that uses
above-the-bar storage (DFSORT's Memory Object sorting, for starters),
and I believe our current sizing and configuration will prove inadequate
"sooner" rather than "later".  Right now our Development/Test LPAR runs
on a z9BC, with 4GB central storage allocated.  It does "light" to
"moderate" paging.  We also run our "sandbox" there, but it's
substantially idle most of the time.  The "primary" CF also lives on the
BC.

Production runs on a z9EC with 14GB central storage (the other 2GB are
allocated to the backup CF), and the same paging subsystem configuration
as above.  This LPAR currently does NO paging, but is the image we
believe would benefit most from exploiting Memory Object sorting.

What would be a "comfortable" paging subsystem configuration, especially
for the Production LPAR, as to individual size and (especially) number
of page datasets?

TIA,

    -jc-