Shai,

And performance.

Virtualisation over a network may be a fairly large step down from native
FICON speed, and the server supporting those targets would have to support
some fairly high IO rates.

For some very small amount of data some PC based storage with software RAID
may suffice, but as throughput and capacity grow the cost of the server to
support this would impact the ability to scale this as a cost effective
solution. On a small scale, and with JCL changes, we could be doing this
with NFS already.

There are virtualisation solutions that emulate 3390 disk that are not PC
storage where the data can be accessed all the time from the MF. The PC
itself would represents a fairly low level of availability if you are
talking VISTA and XP on a PC you bought from Fry's. The class of PC and OS
you use would affect the "access all the time" claim. Would you store
anything required for SOX compliance on a home PC, or go to a server class
Hardware and OS?

Ron