-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kelman, Tom
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 2:28 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Software cost savings from a zIIP

This has been cross posted to the MXG-Listserv.

=20

We will be moving from DB2 v7 to DB2 v8 this weekend and then getting a
zIIP engine shortly.  We are currently at z/OS v1.7 with plans to get
v1.9 installed on all LPARs by the end of the summer.  Since the z/OS
system programmers are working on the v1.9 installation they don't want
to take the time to install the FMID to pick up the zIIP engine
information in the SMF records.  Also, the plans are to just drop a zIIP
loaner in place and try it out instead of sending the data to IBM
(Sirius in our case) to do the study.  However, I've been asked to
estimate the software cost that will be saved by the zIIP engine.  I'm
thinking this way.  Our DB2 DDF workload has grown from nothing to using
10% of the processor during that last year.  I know that DB2 DDF will be
the major workload eligible for zIIP processing, but I also know that
not all of it will end up on the zIIP engine.  From what I've heard
about 60% of it will end up there.  So that means that about 6% of our
CPU, or about 8 MSUs, will be moved from the general purpose engines to
the zIIP.  Am I correct in my thinking or am I way off base?  I have Al
Sherkow's LCS software with the accompanying costing tables so once I
have an estimate as to how many MSUs will move it'll be easy to
calculate the cost savings.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
=20

<SNIP>

IF the zIIP is running at 100% vs. your normal CPUs running at <100%
(based on model type, not workload, so 784MIPs vs. say 200MIPs), then
you should see a reduction in wall time for your DB2 based applications
-- assuming that you have the memory to hold the tables in storage, you
should see quite a bit of improvement.

Now this is based on white board stuff, and not actual experience. YMMV

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- All opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily
reflect those of my employer. --