You have a special test against DSNs that begin with TEST.MISNT and mark
these datasets non-SMS.  This test occurs before your test for TEST.**
so datasets that meet the first test never get processed by the second.

-----Original Message-----
From: willie bunter [snip]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:41 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SMS PUZZLE

Robert,

  Thanks for your offer to take a look at the code.  I have enclosed it.
I hope you can find the bug.

  Thanks in advance for your help.

"Richards, Robert B."
  Willie,

No, the unit is not the problem, as it is valid in both tests. Your
logic must honor (ie, allow) specific dataset placement when a volser is
coded. It may be part of a compound test.

Most of the time, the ACS routines rely on the coder knowing the
sequence of the logic tests and coding them appropriately for the test
desired. Without seeing more of your SC routine, I would be speculating
on the correct answer.

If you want to send it to me, I'll take a look.

Also, my personal preference is to use DO-END loops that SET the SC and
then EXIT when a test is satisfied. YMMV