Having read the thread (so far), I have a few comments.  (All of this is
written assuming that what you want is semi-real-time updates to electronic
versions of IBM documentation).

1) Even in the days of hard-copy TNL's, each TNL was reflected in a new
dash-level.  Do you REALLY want a new dash-level every time a single dox
change occurs for a manual?  If not, how would users and IBM know that they
were "looking at" the same version of a manual?

2) Currently MANY products do produce new "dash-levels" of manuals between
releases (or to earlier releases that are still in service).  If there is a
specific product or feature that you think does NOT get updated as
frequently as you think it should, then you should let IBM (not IBM-MAIN)
know.  Ways to do so include RCF's, Marketing requirements, SHARE
requirements.  (I know that the LNGC project of SHARE accepts
documentation-related requirements and assume other projects do as well).

3) If you aren't aware of it, documentation changes require development
resources (for review if not authoring).  Therefore, the more frequently you
want dox changes, the more resources you want pulled from development and
maintenance of IBM software.  Is this REALLY your priority.

4) Others have mentioned DOC APARs.  Are you aware that you can find these
easily - without using IBMLink.  Check out (for example),

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ZIDOCMS1/CCONTENT

That "book" is updated quite frequently.

"Martin Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Does anyone know why IBM refuses to update their documentation any more?
> Once documentation is shipped, it is never supported. I have had this
problem
> several times in the past few years. The software is not working as
> documented, but the support center determines the doc is wrong, not the
> code. They tell me they will put in an untrackable request to update the
> documentation in a future release. Meanwhile, the current documentation
still
> is incorrect, leading to additional customer problems. I can't be the only
one
> who runs into this issue. Occasionally they will open a DOC apar, but that
isn't
> worth the "paper" it's written on, since it's impractical to search for
DOC apars