I find it much easier to simply type IL than to move a hand from the
keyboard to the mouse, find the drop-down "hotspot" and scroll around
trying to accurately hit "IL" or "Illinois"; yet invariably if I type IL
I find that I've "selected" whatever state is first in the segment that
starts witl "L".

    -jc-