On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:29:24 +0200, Hunkeler Peter (KIUK 3)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Having read all of the posts in this thread, I am unsure if the
>>objective is:

>My colleague, who is the OP, needs to find out if a certain load
>library is still being used by batch jobs. A scan of all the JCL
>libraries is not feasible, because first, he can't be sure he'd
>know all the sources and, second and more important, there is
>good chance that JCL is being dynamically built and the library
>name might be built from, e.g. scheduler variables.
>
>The best solution we've been able to find so far is to use RACF
>auditing and to analyze SMF 80 records. The library in question
>will be protected with a fully qualified generic profile and
>AUDIT(ALL) will be set. This will give us the information that
>library xyz has been used in job abc, which is all he needs.
>
>Thanks for all the suggestions so far
>
>--

That sounds like a good idea and should work even if the library
is only allocated and never opened.

I haven't been following this thread closely. Did anyone mention
ThruPut Manager DAL (I have no idea if you have TM)?  That is
what I used to get rid of some old libraries.  Production isn't a
problem... it's all the end users / programmers.  Using TM I wrote
a message to the joblog and the syslog when used.  To the job to
warn the programmer (which wouldn't work anyway because they
don't pay close attention) and to the syslog so I could scan and
follow up after the fact.

PROC ID(DAL) TYPE(TM)
/*********************************************************************/
/* CHANGE LOG:                                                       */
/* 07/13/2005 - MSZ - CREATED DAL TYPE(TM)                           */
/* 08/09/2005 - MSZ - ADDED CHECK FOR SYS3.SOFTWARE                  */
/*                                                                   */
/*********************************************************************/
/*********************************************************************/
/*          D E F I N I T I O N     S E C T I O N                    */
/*********************************************************************/
/*          MESSAGE DEFINITION                                       */
/*********************************************************************/
MSGDEF OLD_LE_MSG ('ZUSDTM01I - JOB '$JOBNAME' IS USING OLD' +
            ' LE LIBS!  PLEASE CHANGE SYS3.CEE.* TO SYS1.CEE.*')
MSGDEF OLD_SOFT_MSG ('ZUSDTM02I - JOB '$JOBNAME' IS USING OBSOLETE' +
            ' SYS3.SOFTWARE LIBRARY. PLEASE CONTACT Z/OS SUPPORT')
/*********************************************************************/
/*        STRING DEFS AND EVALS                                      */
/*********************************************************************/
EVALUATE OLD_LE   ($DSNAME(SYS3.CEE.**))
/* EVALUATE OLD_LE   ($DSNAME(SYS1.CEE.**)) */  /* FOR TESTING */
EVALUATE OLD_SOFT ($DSNAME(SYS3.SOFTWARE))
/*********************************************************************/
/*              L O G I C    S E C T I O N                           */
/*********************************************************************/
IF (OLD_LE)
   WTO OLD_LE_MSG
   WTU OLD_LE_MSG