>we faced a strange problem with a system code S106,
>as response to a LOAD macro call.

The error was yours. If the system had been asked to load your module it
would have properly dealt with this situation.

You cannot just  do "lookup of the CDE" unless you account for any and
every bit combination that might be represented by the flags that exist,
and I do not propose to explain how you should do this because, simply, you
shouldn't do this.

For those curious enough to try, compare the CDE that is "left over" in
this case with the CDE that you get on a successful load. The case, in
particular is: a load fails with an I/O error, and the call does not
specify ERRET.  For what it's worth, with ERRET, this cleanup happens. The
reason for the behavioral difference between ERRET and no ERRET is lost to
history. It has behaved this way "forever".

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design