Timothy Sipples wrote:
Ted MacNeil writes (>) in reply to me (>>):
1. System z (hardware) revenue was up 32 percent
for the quarter (year over year); capacity ("MIPS")
grew 34 percent. That means System z gained
marketshare again.
You CANNOT say that, as a completely accurate statement!
You need to know how many new customers those MIPS were
sold to. If the increased capacity went to existing
companies, then there is NO increase in share.

Actually IBM's CFO said that (gained marketshare), so I'm just repeating
what he said.

He may have said that. But, it was not based on any analysis of IBM's sales numbers.

IBM uses IDC Server Trackers (http://www.idc.com/home.jhtml) as the definitive source for market share and market momentum figures. For System z, IBM executives normally cite the IDC Worldwide Quarterly Server Tracker for the "> $250K" server marketplace. http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=IDC_P348

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc