On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:55:10 -0500, Paul Gilmartin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>o Duplicate DDNAMEs within a step should be treated as a JCL error.
>  (I understand JES3 already does this.)  This itself would have
>  blocked the pitfall described in this thread.

I've seen jobs that actually made use of this.  It certainly gives
nothing that can't be achieved in other (and easier to understand)
ways, but somebody found it useful.  Now it can't be changed
without breaking something.  (... unless OPEN's behavior has
changed so that the dup DDnames can't be referenced any more.)

I think I'd rather here some people whine that obtuse techniques
are allowed than hear others whine that obtuse techniques that
used to work have been "fixed".  Maybe.

Pat O'Keefe