I do not get it  ... "understand how things work" ?

What is your overall objective ? Are you trying to write an Operating System or are you just trying to ask an intelligent question on an IBM email list because the SAS institute does not know what to do with you.

Anton

Lindy Mayfield wrote:
I am trying to understand how things work.

I looked at a product (advertised on IBM-Main) that created a virtual DASD which redirected the I/O to a PC file. Cute. I asked the designer of said software how he did the virtual part of it. Answer from the developer: STARTIO.
After looking at some STARTIO samples I didn't find the answer.  The past few
days I was learning how boot loaders work and after looking at the S/370 books
I see the SIO x'9C' instruction which made me think about STARTIO again.

Now I'm reading US Patent 6,453,277 which is Virtual I/O Emulator in a
Mainframe Environment.  Nowhere in this patent does it mention STARTIO.  It
talks about FLIH hooks instead.

Anyway the patent explains things in great detail.  Thanks for the hints.