<Snipped>
> But then there's this in the "Notes" for TRUNC in the Installation &
> Customization Guide:
>
> " 2. TRUNC=BIN is the recommended option when interfacing with other
> products that have S/390-format binary data (such as CICS, DB2,
FORTRAN,
> and PL/I). This is especially true if there is a possibility of having
> more than 9 digits in a fullword or more than 4 digits in a halfword."
>
> So, we're stuck with TRUNC(BIN) in CICS, where arguably we'd want the
> "best" performance.  :-(

Reading that recommendation more carefully now, I think it fails to add
the following rationalization:

"ASSUMING you want to keep your BINARY variables limited to their COBOL
picture definitions.  If you just want to use the full binary range of
values, then go ahead and use TRUNC(OPT), keeping in mind that
arithmetic overflow from very large values may occur, and preventing or
dealing with the consequences of such overflows is your program's
responsibility."

Peter

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.