Web 2.0 is a "big tent" kind of a term, and not only includes social
networking, but also the concept of "Rich Interface Applications"
(RIA) that run in a web browser.

The two most popular technologies these days for building web browser
RIAs are "AJAX" (javascript frameworks) and Adobe Flex.   Adobe Flex
is an open source toolkit and SDK which generates applications that
run in the (proprietary) Adobe Flash plugin, which is ubiquitous these
days thanks to YouTube and the like.

IBM has just released a new version of the "JZOS Cookbook" which
includes a new chapter and sample code project which demonstrates
building an RIA using Adobe Flex.    The Flex RIA is packaged in a web
application that runs on z/OS that also includes a sample Java web
service for accessing the z/OS catalog, using the JZOS CatalogSearch
API.

The best way to explain the sample app is to say that it is a browser
RIA similar to ISPF 3.4.

The new cookbook also contains a sample Eclipse project with all of
the sample Java and Flex code, both a basic version of the RIA and a
little more advanced one.

Here's the JZOS alphaWorks URL where you can download the new
cookbook:  http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/zosjavabatchtk

Our hope is that this will be a motivating demonstration of the kind
of "Web 2.0" applications that you can build to run on z/OS.   Steve
Goetze and I will be presenting and demonstrating this work at SHARE
in Denver, at a session currently titled "JZOS Meets Web 2.0".
Please come if you can, or feel free to comment or ask questions on
the JZOS alphaWorks forum.  Your feedback is appreciated.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com