On Thu, 9 May 2024 at 15:01, Phil Smith III <li...@akphs.com> wrote:

> [...]
Since classic timer units are close to microseconds

[...]

Ah, no. We've been through this one before - the last time here in 2018 as
far as I can see. A (classic) Timer Unit is about 26 μs, which is the
notional tick rate of bit 30 of the old S/360 Interval Timer. But this kind
of Timer Unit continues to be available in some interfaces on z/OS, though
the Interval Timer is long gone.

Bit 31 of the TOD clock ticks close enough to a one second rate that the
high half of the clock can be used to count seconds for many human
interface purposes. Bit 51 of the TOD clock ticks at (exactly) the 1 μs
rate, and hence bit 63 at 2**-12 μs. According to the PofO this last is
called a "clock unit".

Tony H.