https://www.editpadpro.com/tricklinebreak.html

Windows, and DOS before it, uses a pair of CR and LF characters to
terminate lines. UNIX (Including Linux and FreeBSD) uses an LF
character only. OS X also uses a single LF character, but the classic
Mac operating system used a single CR character for line breaks. In
other words: a complete mess.

MVS uses F / V record boundaries to denote newlines.

https://www3.rocketsoftware.com/bluezone/help/v50/en/bz/DISPLAY/IND$FILE/IND$FILE_Technical_Reference.htm

IND$FiLE uses ASCII CRLF to translate.

On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 8:25 PM Paul Gilmartin
<0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> in
> <https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/3.1.0?topic=statement-regular-expressions>,
> I read:
>     .   The period symbol matches any one character except the terminal
> newline character.
>
> So how may the programmer match a newline character?
> I I read in an apparently related publication,
> <https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/3.1.0?topic=functions-regcomp-compile-regular-expression>,
>     $
>     The dollar symbol matches the end of the string. (Use \n to match a
> newline character.)
>
> Does "\n" work alike for DFSORT?
>
> What is the code point for the newline character?  It doesn't appear
> in Appendix D, Table 109 where it should be because it's mentioned
> elsewhere in the Guide.
>
> (I'm guessing it's x'15', but the reader shouldn't need to guess.)
>
> Thanks,
> gil

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA