From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2024 10:00 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Fault Analyzer output for executed instructions?

Mike Schwab wrote
<snip>
Length is a nibble, x0 is one byte, one digit, one sign, xF is 16
bytes, 31 digits, 1 sign.

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 6:48 PM Seymour J Metz
<sme...@gmu.edu<mailto:sme...@gmu.edu>> wrote:

> I have a program that is getting an S0C7 on an EX instruction. The output
> from Fault Analyzer contains the target instruction as is, with a zero length
> field, and only displays one byte of the operand.
</snip>

Could you explain further? It is certainly not true that “in general”, length
is a nybble.
And I doubt it is true that it is true for every instruction that can get a PIC
7 (Seymour’s post did not identify the instruction itself that was the target
of the execute).

I believe that there was a way to have the processing take the instruction
text, OR with the value from the low byte of register (which indicates whatever
it indicates), and use that updated instruction text as the basis for a display.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design