On Mon, 20 May 2024 16:50:13 +0200, Radoslaw Skorupka wrote:

>It is not matter of belief. I just performed a test.
>FTP GUI from IBM, part of PCOMM.
>Note, it is IBM. More: it is part of PCOMM. They know z/OS, etc.
>1. I tried to move/copy some directory.
>2. I tried to create a directory on host side.
>
>In both case a PDS was created. I cannot choose RECFM, LRECL, directory
>blocks, primary or secondary space. That should end the story.
>In case #1 none of files was transmitted because the name was not
>conforming member naming rules. Hint: it is very rare to have such files
>(no extension) in Windows.

I have used a GUI FTP client which supported a subcommand such as
"Send Command" which supported
    SITE space, attributes
    SBDATACONN
but that's abandoning GUI and reverting to command line.

I'm inclined not to "shoot the messenger" but to blame MVS for
o Absurdly limited namespace.
o Requirement to specify SPACE and attributes on directories.

I feel DSFS might be a step in the wrong direction.  Rather than
supporting Classic data sets in UNIX, why not better support
UNIX files in Classic utilities.
HLASM, for example supports UNIX directories for SYSLIB.  Why
not similarly for SYSEXEC, STEPLIB, Binder SYSLIB, ...?

>In any case when you download a PDS to PC and upload it again to (maybe
>another) z/OS image you will get *different* thing.
>Maybe it would be sufficient for test members with "this is a test"
>content, but definitely not for source code of binary content.
>
>Oh, did I mention there is no choice of codepages?

(Less problem for us anglophones. :-)

>Of course I know how to use XMIT... but again - how to edit the content
>on PC side? I assume it is regular text content. Just change HLQ is some
>job, one of many.

It ought to be possible from a desktop client to request that the
z/OS server create or extract such a NETDATA package.

--
gil