As always, Alan, ty for the good advice.

I have renamed with CPFMTXA the 2nd Level disks to 54O(Oh)RES, 54O(Oh)W01,
adn 54O(Oh)W02 and will copy the 2 page and 2 spool disks just for
simplicity, neatness counts.

Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>
09/28/2010 11:59 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Applying Maintenance - Best Practice

On Tuesday, 09/28/2010 at 04:35 EDT, George Henke/NYLIC
<george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:
> Can I bring up z/VM Level 2 wiith the same cloned volser's, directory,
and CF
> parm disks as z/VM Level 1 as long as I  point to the cloned 540RES and
FORCE
> start when I IPL?
>
> I have  DDRed my 540RES, 540W01, 540W02, Level 1 disks to separate disks

and
> they now have the same volsers.
>
> Do I need to also DDR the PAG and SPL disks or can I just FORCE start
with
> empty disks.

You need to copy the disks or CPFMTXA them.

> The directory and CF parm disks came over with 540RES.  Since the names
have
> not changed Is their "referential integrity" still intact?

Unless you follow my previously posted advice about using OFFLINE_AT_IPL,
duplicate volids create the potential for bad things to happen.  I suggest

you change the volsers (which means changing SYSTEM CONFIG and USER
DIRECT).

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training