--- Start of Idrisi List message

Hi Idrisians,

I've just switched to Idrisi32 and have a few questions concerning the
remote sensing classification modules.

1. When you are running a hard classifier, such as mindist, you are not
asked for an input file name (i.e., the file to be classified). Seems
like the file used to develop the signature files is the one classified.
What if you wanted to classify a different image with these signatures?
Even in the Idrisi tutorial, they work with a subset (H87TM4) to develop
signatures; how then could these be used to classify the larger scene
(HOW87TM4)?

2. What happened to EDITSIG? I realize that you can view the histograms
of the signature files with HISTO, but you can't modify them. Changing
the min/max values in the signatures files, and then re-running PIPED
was such a good way to teach students exactly what was happening during
classification. The Idrisi32 tutorial indicates that "it is not uncommon
to go through several iterations of training site adjustment, signature
development, and signature evaluation before achieving satisfactory
signatures". Seems like the only adjusting one can do with this version
is to simply re-digitize new training areas (no guarantee they will be
any better!).

I hope the answers to these questions are obvious, and I've just missed
something! Your help is appreciated!

cheers,
jan mersey
university of guelph
ontario, canada
--- End of Idrisi List message

IDRISI-L is an unmoderated list. As a service to list users, please post a
summary of useful responses to your questions.
subscribe to the list, send an email from the address to be subscribed to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with "subscribe" (without quotes) as the first line
of the message body. To unsubscribe, do the same, only with "unsubscribe"
as the first line of the message body.