From: Ifeffit <ifeffit-boun...@millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov> on behalf of jesse
walters <thegeoje...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2024 7:22 AM
To: ifeffit@millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov <ifeffit@millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov>
Cc: Francesco Ressico <francesco.ressi...@unibo.it>
Subject: [Ifeffit] Difficulty with normalization of XAS spectra

This Message Is From an External Sender

Hi all,

I have some spectra collected by a collaborator, Francesco Ressico, a PhD
student at Uni Bologna,  (see attached .h5 file below) and we are having
trouble normalizing the Fe K edge spectra. The data are for serpentine group
minerals and were collected in fluorescence mode. In the attached file, the
correct X array value is 'energy_enc', the data type is 'xas', and the y array
should be 'mu_fluo_det0'. The spectra are already normalized for the incoming
beam energy (although this can also be done using 'flou_det0/i0'). There are
multiple spectra in the file, any one of them can be chosen to test the
procedure.

After loading the spectra, I am able to plot the raw spectra correctly (see
attached). But when I try to normalize the pre and post edge regions and plot
the normalized spectra, the software only gives a blank plot. I have tried
changing the normalization type, polynomial type, range, etc for both the pre
and post edge, but nothing seems to work. I also tested different spectra, but
with similar results.

Does anyone have suggestions for how these data can be normalized?

The h5 file is too large, so here is a dropbox link
https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/d8k5s67vli0mq97ac520y/COR21_79_Xastransect_79_F1_THC.h5?rlkey=33ragg4p6x9rx65t9yvi5kewe&dl=0__;!!G_uCfscf7eWS!Y9GJy37brG0k4qCt4bqHjK6e2Z7LEYwZ1ZzcvayMccEQ2gcoi04DttFbatHGMMIv2Td6Pn1rBtw9LkWVVgSeaBKPREpXoqTHhIQ0XGs$

<https://urldefense.us/v3/__https:/www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/d8k5s67vli0mq97ac520y/COR21_79_Xastransect_79_F1_THC.h5?rlkey=33ragg4p6x9rx65t9yvi5kewe&dl=0__;!!G_uCfscf7eWS!btLKhnEiyp5gMQfSDnHdxqgt2ie5vcVHW7e142vokJ-wEX6zZSIOcAyHsf5THg9ZlyyIsx7Vfm27ycKWAQg1_cysDdnW65aCQA$>

Sincerely,
Jesse Walters

--
Jesse B. Walters