Dear Ifeffit community,

a short reaction from the FEFFgroup.

1/  It's true that we don't follow up on the ifeffit ML 100%.  Important
issues usually do get through to us.  We highly value the ifeffit
community.  We can also be contacted directly for problems that are FEFF
related rather than iFEFFit related (
contact<http://www.feffproject.org/feffproject-contact.html> ).
 We'll likely ask you for the feff.inp file that generates the problem.

2/  We're glad that FEFF6 is so successful.  Meanwhile FEFF6 is about as
old as Windows95, and development is now focused on
FEFF9<http://www.feffproject.org/feffproject-feff.html>,
which has 15-20 years of improvements over FEFF6.  It's a big improvement
for anyone running FEFF calculations.  It costs $500, or $250 upgrade from
any paid version of FEFF.

3/  The OP posted 5 input files.  4 of these run without problems in FEFF9.
 The last has I atoms (Z=53) at a spacing of 0.8A, and doesn't run out of
the box.  I expect the same result from FEFF8.

4/  There has been some effort to bring a "FEFF9lite" to the analysis
codes, analogous to the FEFF6lite discussed here.  We would be very happy
to see that effort succeed.

5/  FWIW the fovrg routine was retired in 1996 and replaced by a
relativistic version called "dfovrg".  The "hard error" does not exist
anymore.

6/  We're a small team; we apologize for all the 'bothering' we don't get
around to.  We do care about supporting our users and put a lot of energy
into support.  Please reach out ot us when you need us.

Cheers from Seattle,

Kevin Jorissen

PS I posted a while back about a problem with JFEFF and Java updates but
I'm not sure the message made it through: I asked the mod, but no reply.  I
hope this msg makes it :).