> anyways, what is exciting is, that using thin-clients, several people
> could simultaneously work on such demanding tasks through a centralised
> high-powered server, which in turn could throw its back-end processing
> to a farm of renderers or grpahics processing nodes, if need be....
>
> this part of ltsp really excites me.
>
> :-)
> LL

LTSP or NO LTSP. Xwindow protocol is a way of sending keypad and pointer
events to the node which is actually running the application. The major
advantage of such scenario is low-processing power clients and
<underline> highly effcient </underline> usage of resources like
memory/processing power/secondary memory on <underline>one</underline>
node.

What I do'nt understand where you got the idea of cluster or render farm
on backend. You can refer to an article in Network Computing about thin
client solutions few issues back.

Xwindow protocol has no (free) version of load balancing mechenism. So
multiple X Application server may not be possible as far as my knowledge
goes.

There are commercial solutions with X protocol (load balanced), one can
take a look at that, but that means the cost benefit between running X
to something like citrix.

BTW there are better ways of doing render farm/ image processing using a
protocol called RENDERMAN from Pixar. I think you must have come across
that name. This we can further discuss off-list if you like

Supreet