At 2004-03-04 13:08:14 +0530, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> By vanish I mean, function gone it's data gone.

I know what you mean. It's a common expectation, but as I said, there is
no guarantee that any such thing will happen. *No* valid assumptions can
be made with respect to undefined behaviour. You cannot even expect it
to "not work."

> I have tried it so many times ... but if it's just coincidence, what a
> beautiful coincidence    :-)

No, it's not the kind of coincidence that happens differently each time.
It's the kind that varies between platforms, or versions of your system
libraries, or compiler or whatever. In any case, you should not depend
on any particular behaviour in this case.

I wish gcc did complain about this, but I expect it's inefficient to try
to detect all possible cases where this is happening.

-- ams