    Shirish> Hi all, I've just installed Ubuntu 5.10 in my dual-boot
    Shirish> box. I'm using D-Link 502T for BSNL broadband & using the
    Shirish> USB interface from windows without any issues. Would like
    Shirish> to use the same in Ubuntu. The D-Link 502T Modem/Router
    Shirish> is not always on. The web interface leads me to believe
    Shirish> that its also is Linux-based.

    Raju> Haven't tried the USB interface, but I have the same box
    Raju> (502T) from MTNL and am using it through Ethernet, which
    Raju> works fine.  Can send more details if you need them.

    Raju> With Ethernet too there are two ways of using the 502T
    Raju> (as a router and as a bridge).

    Shirish> Would be glad to know any details u can forward me. Thanx
    Shirish> in anticipation.

You have to do the following to use the 502T as a bridge (assumes you
can login to the router using the web interface and configure it).
Please read this whole message before you start:

1. Setup an IP on your ethernet to communicate with the 502T.  Use
192.168.1.2.

2. Login to the router admin console using a browser:
http://192.168.1.1/ .  The default login and password are both admin.

3. Switch the first virtual circuit (pvc0) to Bridge mode
(http://shanta.linuxops.net/~raju/cgi-bin/photo/index.cgi?mode=viewpicture&album=/Misc&picture=pvc0.png&maxWidth=9999)

4. Switch the second virtual circuit (pvc1) to DSL mode
(http://shanta.linuxops.net/~raju/cgi-bin/photo/index.cgi?album=/Misc&mode=viewpicture&picture=pvc1.png#start_picture).

Make sure that pvc1 is DISABLED.

4a. Save settings and reboot the 502T.

5. Install the pppoeconf utility.  In Debian it belongs to a package
called ``pppoeconf'' (apt-get install pppoeconf).

6. Now just run pppoeconf.  It will discover the DSLAM or whatever
MTNL equipment it needs to and create a configuration file for ppp.
It will also give you options to set the default route and to start
the connection at boot time.

7. Start the connection (if you haven't done so already):

  pon dsl-provider

8. Disable 'net access to anything in your computer:

  iptables -I INPUT -s ! 127.0.0.1 -j REJECT (or something equivalent)

Make sure this gets done each time you start up the computer,
otherwise you're at the mercy of all the l33t haxqu0r k1dd13z waiting
to pounce upon you on the 'net.

I don't know if the pvc1 is really needed, but it works as a backup in
case something goes wrong (just enable it and set the default route on
your computer to 192.168.1.1 if you have problems and you can continue
to use the 502T as a router).

Hope this helps, feedback welcome.

Standard disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you manage to blow up your
house or get your cat run over by using the techniques described in
this message.  Caveat emptor.

Regards,

- -- Raju
- --