On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Manish  wrote:

>   I am on the lookout for a laptop that plays nice with Linux and have
>  zeroed in on three choices: Lenovo Thinkpad R61 [1], Dell XPS M1330
>  [2] and Sony Vaio CR [3].  I am not sure how compatible they are with
>  Debian.  Some web-search does suggest that almost all of them can be
>  made to work but I would appreciate advice from the real world as
>  well.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I have purchased Thinkpad R61, for
better or worse.  Keyboard light, trackpoint, excellent keyboard and
solid construction swayed me.  Sending this email from Ubuntu 8.04
Live CD.  Still wondering if I should install Ubuntu or Debian.  I do
not want to get caught up in upgrade cycles but the work that has gone
in to simplify/beautify Ubuntu is definitely attractive.  Debian may
require some homework before it is fully tuned to my choice but may be
less work in the long run.. Sorry, I just got lost in thought.
Definitely do not wish to start any distro wars.

>   Web search also did not come up with any instances of anyone ever
>  having `reclaimed' the M$ tax in India.  Has that ever been attempted?

I started this experiment today.

-- Manish