Hello sir
upon defining command at top of the line by pressing e (in the grub boot menu),
and then pressing b for booting, coming across as 'Unrecognised Command'.
Please guide where I am committing mistake.
thanks

MALKIAT

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hey,

Its not at all a problem if u loose a password. U cant retrieve it ..thats
for sure because its encrypted by a Trap-Door Algorithm which is one-way
encryption. but u can always change it.
Wat u can do is ..in ur grub menu while booting .before u boot into linux
press 'e'. to edit the menu. In the boot sequence first line u append
"init=/bin/sh"
then u boot.! after u r in , u get a prompt like "sh#"
there u write
# mount -o remount -n /
u then give the passwd command..like
# passwd
simply change ur password by giving new one.

Another trick is ..!
when u get sh# prompt ..simply in next prompt do # vim /etc/passwd
n from the first line ...erase the 'x' beside root.! ur root is passwrodless
now..!

Amar Akshat
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 12:48 PM, MALKIAT BENIPAL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Dear all,
> I forgot root password of my linux (red hat). Could any please guide if I
> could locate it through any way or I have reinstall the same.
> Thanks/MALKIAT
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>      Connect with friends all over the world. Get Yahoo! India Messenger at
> http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/?wm=n/

V.P , AGE
Certified Ethical Hacker,
Dept. Of Computer Engineering,
Sikkim Manipal Institute Of Tech.

"Where You See a Feature I See a Flaw.."

      Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now, on
http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html/