On Monday 22 September 2008 01:00:18 Gora Mohanty wrote:
> (b) Should Sarai, as an avowedly FOSS organisation, use
>     proprietary software in a public demo? My opinion is no,
>     but again I believe that this should be done through peer
>     pressure, rather than outright banning. The person in
>     question uses Linux/KDE on his desktop, which is a large
>     part of his computing, and dual-boots at home due to his
>     daughter's addiction to KDE games. He has been considering
>     switching his laptop too to Linux, so maybe here is an
>     opportunity.

At the risk of a flame war debating between GPL and BSD licences, this
is exactly the difference between the two licences, IMO of course.

* GPL restricts complete freedom, by putting in conditions, for the
higher goal of software freedom for the society.
* BSD (w/o advert. clause) strives for complete freedom. They share the
same goals as GPL - software freedom, but give further freedom to
users - the choice to use whatever licence they want for their
derivatives.

Both have their own approaches to a common goal( One should not fault
any one for the other).So do we, in deciding how to take this day
forward.

My belief is that software freedom advocacy should not be a black and
white "here, or not any where" approach. For most people, freedom is a
long journey - from the initial steps into using a FOSS browser, then
to a FOSS mail client ... hopefully eventually to a FOSS OS. Every step
on the way of freedom should be congratulated and encouraged.

Firefox has arguably done more to the popularity of FOSS than any other
software in history. A whole lot of people, who would otherwise had
never tried FOSS voluntarily, have come to believe that something free
can be so good. The next  step is to make them believe how the "free"
part is more than just money.

There is such a long way to go. Acting pedantic and orthodox about
freedom is never going to help the cause.

Besides seeing parts of the world they are familiar with during these
presentations is only going to make new entrants more comfortable and
more likely to try them out. Moving to a different OS is a life
changing activity very few have the stomach to take. Actually, if they
see everything in Linux, they would probably be more detached from the
subject, as they would have the mental barrier - "to use this, I first
have to change my OS". They will nod, but would be afraid to take the
big step before it.

Infiltrating the world of Windows and Mac with FOSS, getting them hooked
on free software and eventually tempting them to try the OS itself,
might just be a more effective way to get the masses in. (notice how
the last line looks like something billg@ might have said about his OS
several years back ;) )

- Sandip

    • ... Praveen A
      • ... shantanu goel
        • ... Raj Mathur
          • ... gajendra khanna
            • ... Jeba Singh Emmanuel | जेबा सिंह ईम्म ेनुयेल
          • ... shantanu goel
  • ... Gora Mohanty
    • ... narendra sisodiya
      • ... Gora Mohanty