On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM, N S <nsn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi PJ, ilugd list,
>
> @PJ: Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective in detail.
>
> I'm giving a concrete example, based on personal experience of some rather
> "in the air" points I put forward in my previous mail.
>
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:24 PM, PJ <pee...@hotpop.com> wrote:
>
> > <nsn...@...> writes:
> >
> > > Hi People,
> > > Time for the Naligator to surf right in.
> >
> > [snip illuminating perspective by N]
> >
> > The crux of my question remains: RHCE guys should be good at
> > their stuff, seeing how probing the exams are.
> >
> > But for some reason, none of the RHCE guys I interviewed about
> > half a year ago were people I would entrust to run the company
> > servers. I was even told the possibly apocryphal tale of Mary,
> > who when he was searching, would filter out the RHCE candidates
> > and chuck them in the bin. It was a relief when I managed to unearth
> > someone with the qualities of constant learning that you describe,
> > along with the required abilities and mindset.
> >
> > So what was it that I was uncovering in interviews that were
> > putting me off and weren't coming out in the RHCE scores?
> >

> > Damned if I can remember the details now and articulate it. I
> > think it was linked with the constant learning aspect and surprising
> > blanks in knowledge and ability. Something missing in the mindset
> > too, I think. Stuff that Nalin touched upon.
> >

> Here is a personal experience I had earlier in my career-- that illustrates
> some of whats wrong with sysadmins and IT-departments in a lot of indian
> company.
>

> >(1) what a company's IT goals are;
> >

> >(2) what the approach and background of your
> manager/superior/organization's
> >management are
> >
> >(3) what are your own career plans and willingness to be flexible; goal
> oriented and team oriented.
> >I cant generalize much on (1) and (2) above in a public forum-- but on (3)
> my views are as below:--
> >(a) Do you want a stable average paying position even if you want tech
> compromises ?
> >
> I once worked for a Bangalore office of a very large Indian networking
> company that had set up their bangalore presence just 1-2 years before I
> joined fresh out of college.
>
> At the time, the IT guys-- the sysadmins-- were administering a network of
> WIndowsNT 4.0 machines; with a HP-UX server and also some Linux presence
> included. The sysadmins were contract workers the company outsourced (I
> think either from Compaq OR from HP-- at the time, Compaq hadnt yet been
> acquired by HP).
>
> Soon a IT manager came-- who was a company employee-- answering only to the
> Bangalore Center's General Manager-- who was the goto guy for the GM and
> all
> the project managers.
>
> This IT manager had some power issues--- he liked to pretend he was
> managing
> [...]

Sir,

I belongs to Meerut.  I have attended RHEL 5 training from NETZONE INFOTECH
PVT LTD LAZPAT NAGAR NEW DELHI, Now I want to attend the RHCE EXAM. I
REQUEST TO THE ALL MEMBERS OF THE GROUP PLZ... GIVE ME SOME GUIDE LINES AND
TELL ME FROM WHERE I SHOULD REGISTER FOR THE RHCE EXAM SO THAT I CAN CLEAR
THE EXAM. I SHALL BE ALWAYS HIGLY OBLIGED AND THANKFUL TO THE EACH MEMBER OF
THE GROUP.

With Warm Regards,

--
amit