On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Gora Mohanty<g...@sarai.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:40:44 +0530
> Narender <narender.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to suggest an open source alternative to MS project 2003
>> to our Engineering team.
>>
>> while googling i found two such open source project which are
>> equivalent to MS Project.
> [...]
>
> There are a variety of possibilities in the open-source world,
> but you need to specify your requirements in a little more
> detail, e.g.:
> o Web-based, or desktop?
> o What are the features that you need: We wanted all of
>  * Project planning
>  * Resource planning
>  * Issue tracking
>  * Time sheets
>  * Project management
> Wikipedia has a good link to get you started:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_project_management_software
> From trying out many of these, the top web-based contenders for
> an all-in-one application seem to be Dot Project, and egroupware,
> though both have clunky interfaces. Have yet to try out Project.Net.
> On the desktop side, kplato (KDE) and planner (GNOME) handle project
> planning decently, and taskjuggler has some interesting approaches.
> Another possibility is Storm, a Drupal plugin, but that is still
> at an early stage of development.
>
> We are currently leaning towards building a mash-up, using APIs from
> best-of-breed open-source/proprietary applications in each of the
> above areas. Anyone interested in helping out is welcome to contact
> me off list.
>
> Regards,
> Gora

Thank you Gora,

i just need a desktop based application at this stage which can should
be compatible with MS Project.
I mean if any one want to open the project/file in the MS-Project then
he/should do.

Work planning and Resource management would be two major feature that required.

I am not aware of web based open source tool available . i have seen
that Open Proj is offering that feature as SaaS  but that is paid.
Is there any Open source- Project application that i can host centrally.

Please advise.

Best Regards
--N