I am not contradicting you, just putting forth a different PoV.

Narendra Sisodiya said on Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 03:58:44PM +0530,:

 > I am now migrating from Ubuntu to Debian because Debian give all things
 > which ubuntu provide in a stable form.

Welcome!!!

 > Debian has three branch
 > 1) Stable
 > 2) Testing
 > 3) Unstable..

With "Stable", if some software is not working, you can be assured
that it is because you have misconfigured it. Current Stable version
is called Lenny.

Current Testing is called "Squeeze".

Unstable is always called Sid. Sid is the character in the film "Toy
Story"; he keeps on breaking your toys.

For real advanced users, who can fix their broken toys, there are (4)
Experimental, and (5) Incoming too. Have not used "incoming"
though. Both are not technically distros, just a repository of latest
packages. The official Debian "customer support" will not answer
support questions for anything except "stable". You are not supposed
other distros unless you know enough about them to use them.

I started off with "Woody", (I think a PC Quest Magazine distro,
probably compiled by Atul Chitnis - not very sure, then some RH
version, and then moved over to Woody). That was some time in 2000
April. 2 years later, moved to testing.

For past 6-7 years, using Unstable, upgraded every 2-3 weeks. Yes, my
system is broken quite often. I have had to re-install it 2-3 times in
past 8 years.

IMO, the names "testing", Unstable and Experimental are very
misleading; the packages are far more stable than most other distros,
including Ubuntu.

 > Ubuntu and other product are derived from Unstable branch and meant
 > for mass testing,

??

Not sure what exactly you meant here.

AFAIK, Ubuntu uses sources from Debian's unstable branch, and are
compiled against later versions of the libraries using latest
compiler version(s).

 > Ubuntu never cared about bug and stick to time table, the famous
 > 10/10/10 release were having bugs and they released because they
 > wanted to release it on time.

I would rather rephrase it as "Ubuntu gives more importance to timely
releases".

 > Above all, I do not to live with a OS which is controlled by a
 > company who is targeting on MacOS. Look and feel and behavior of
 > ubuntu is going towards mac os.

What is wrong with that??

In fact, it is not Ubuntu which is imititating OSX. It is the GNOME
desktop environment. (correct me if I am wrong).

BTW, the film "Toy Story" was produced by Pixar, and Pixar is owned by
Steve Jobs, the owner of Apple.

You can definitely switch over to KDE from within Ubuntu, without
installing Kubuntu. May be you can use Xfce. Icewm, fluxbox etc.  Not
sure, how to go about doing it, though.

 > I want to devote my rest of the life for advocating and improving
 > Debian in India.

Welcome. But please do that without pulling down other distros.

All distros share their improvements between them. Several Debian
developers are paid by Canonical.

Debian takes its bits and pieces from even Red Hat In fact, we should
be thankful to Red Hat, they have sponsored some of the best fonts in
al most all Indic languages. (and several volunteer groups have
contributed excellent fonts for each language)

The point, each distro does its bit towards improving GNU/Linux. Each
distro has its own niche.

 > Those who want a better look and feel can try latest mint which is
 > also based on debian -
 > http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1604
 > http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/09/07/linux-mint-9-debian/

Why mint rather than Ubuntu or Debian?

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||  http://[paivakil|fizzard].blogspot.com
Distributing free copies of non-free software is --