Rakesh Kumar said on Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 06:07:01AM -0800,:

 > Hi I firstly tried to look into the partition table by using # fdisk
 > -l, but it was showing windows partitions only.
 > It's not my laptop so i can't perform experiments on it.
 > I've not worked on ubuntu so much but in Red Hat i preferably use this
 > to delete grub:
 > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=256 count=1
 >
 > So i want to ask you whether this will work, to delete grub and
 > reinstall it using installation media?

No; this means you have a corrupted partition table. Wonder why
windughs is not complaining.

Try running testdisk froma live CD on the partition. testdisk will
recover the partition.

To rephrase it better, "RECOVER the lost partition using testdisk".

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||  http://[paivakil|fizzard].blogspot.com
Buy Free Software -- It gives you freedom!