On Monday 10 Jan 2011, Linux Lingam wrote:
> gora is correct.
> also, have you tried to check the dell's internal circuitry is not
> causing this problem?
> depending on the level of hiss, here's a quick workaround:
>
> 1. ensure the recording has a few seconds of silence recorded:
> without voice/music/whatever.
> 2. open audacity, select this portion, and through the filters menu,
> look for the 'remove noise' option.
> the first click will load this pattern as the 'hiss' that has to be
> elminated. 3. now select the entire track, and again go back to the
> same filter. clicking it again will eliminate
> the noise/hiss from the entire track.
> 4: optional: adjust the EQ to correct other possible problems with
> the recording's balance of each channel,
> add salt, pepper, oregano, and other seasonings to taste.

Thanks for all the advice folks.  Some more background:

1. This machine is going to be used for VoIP, so post-facto editing of
audio isn't possible.  If you know a (say) 1000Hz filter that can be
implemented at the ALSA level I'd be glad to give it a shot.

2. I've tried all settings.  Yes, the hiss (obviously) decreases when I
push down mic gain.  However, an obvious side-effect of lowering mic
gain is, you guessed it, voice volume goes down and the person at the
other end of the line has to strain to make out what I'm saying.

3. I've tried recording without a mic attached and the hiss is still
there, so it's not an impedance mismatch (or whatever other technical
stuff sound engineers like to bandy about).

In my view, a properly-configured sound system should not be generating
hiss from the input at all, at any mic gain value, and this is confirmed
by running Winduhs on the machine where, lo! the hiss disappears.

Hence my conclusion that this is purely an ALSA issue and needs to be
tackled at the ALSA configuration level.

More advice/offers for help/commercial offers welcome.

Regards,

-- Raj
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/