On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:52 AM, sharanjit Kaur <skaur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Fedora on IBM R50e laptop model which was working
> fine till now.
>
> Kernel info and detailed h/w info in as following:
>
> Linux mtnl 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl #1 Mon Dec 15 15:55:18 EST 2003 i686
> i686 i386 GNU/Linux

This is quite ancient :)

>  RAM : 1GB
>  HDD : 40GB

You have not disclosed your current disk partition - the RAM and HDD
size is enough to install pretty much any distro's latest version.

Hopefully, your /home is on a separate disk partition.  Nevertheless,
back up your /home + plus any other customized config files.

After back up, I would suggest you repartition your disk to 10GB for
install partition (/ + other sys dirs), 2GB for swap, and the
remainder for /home.

I have a 18GB HDD with Debian Squeeze.  I have carved it out 6GB for
installation, 2GB for swap and the remainder for /home.  Base Debian +
XFCE4 desktop takes about 1.2GB for the installation.   Even for the
desktop Debian will install only the minimal GUI packages and let you
add your "favorite" apps later.

HTH
-- Arun Khan