On Friday 27 May 2011, Vivek Kapoor wrote:
> On a different note, what kind of issues are your users facing on
> Blackberry?
>
>  From what I've experienced, usually the users prefer the Blackberry
> services provided by the service providers such as Vodafone & Airtel.
> This means going on airtel's website, entering your server details
> and the username and password and it's instantly activated. This
> I've personally seen working flawlessly with both Courier and
> Dovecot (though dovecot is better), both with self signed SSL
> certificates. On the contrary, the apple devices create trouble if
> using self signed certificates.
>
> What's more, if your users are getting trouble connecting via the
> service provider's blackberry interface, then you can directly call
> up the service provider to assist. They may need the server name,
> username and password to test at their end.

Since you ask the specific problem goes something like this:

We've set up a mail server for the client.  The server is handling two
domains (say foo.com and bar.com).

foo.com has one BB user, while bar.com has many BB users.  The foo.com
BB user (say ram) has accounts on both domains: r...@foo.com and
r...@bar.com.

Mail sent to r...@bar.com reflects immediately in the user's webmail,
Outlook, couple of other mail clients AND his BB.

Mail sent to r...@foo.com reflects immediately in the user's webmail,
Outlook, couple of other mail clients, but NOT his BB.  It may take
anything from 15 seconds (acceptable) up to an hour (definitely not
acceptable) to reach his BB.

Note that the same server and the same software (and the same BB device
on the same service provider, for that matter) are handling both
scenarios.  Some seriously weirdness going on here, and I've asked him
to raise a ticket with the service provider (Vodafone, IIRC).  Let's see
what they say.  In the meantime, I'm still looking for a BB to test this
on :-)

Regards,

-- Raj
--