Ashish SHUKLA said on Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 07:09:18AM +0530,:

 > vikram ranade writes:
 > > Does anyone hove experience running an online trading terminal for the
 > > BSE/NSE and other Indian exchanges
 > > on Linux?
 >
 > I forward this query to a friend (not subscribed to ilugd list) who has
 > experience in this domain, and following is his reply:

(snip)

Several years back, my broker was using *nix and *BSD as a firewall.
The sites were robust (as in lot in and you get presented with the
login screen).

And then, our stock exchanges switched over to a proprietary OS,
primarily meant for desktops. And slowly, my brokers' sites started
moving to that same OS. I consider myself lucky that I can actully
login and trade - using the HTML interface. They also provide a flash
based interface, but I find that too tedious. (I am not a trader - I
buy / sell, may be once in 2 years per scrip - but record couple of
transactions per month).

Some more digging threw up an interesting fact - trade data in India
is a closely guarded secret - pay up ₹  � to get access. No free of
cost; no unrestricted access. In contrast, trading data from most
other SEs outside India is available FoC and without restrictions. And
there are several F/OSS tools to use this data to generate your own
technical charting.

The root for this, lies in the SEs themselves. They need to change
their approach to IT infracture, which, currenty is a wonder why
people do not care to break into.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
REVOLUTION, n. An abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.