Hi all.

I know this is not related to Linux or FOSS. But the box runs Debian,
and am hoping that people here would have some experience dealing with
things like this.

I got a new 500 GB SATA HDD, Seagate make. Output of smartctl says
something about compliance with version of 8 of ATA standards. (the
disk is not connected right now).

When the new disk is connected, the BIOS either shows a blank screen
or throws up an error message, and asks me to set CMOS time, which
falls back to 2002. Especially When I power on after a gap of 20
minutes or more.

There are no error messages in any of the logs; if I get past the BIOS
barrier, I can use the disk, I partitioned and created ext4 FS too.

The BIOS is of 2002 vintage, going by the copyright notice in the BIOS
menu. But the system is hardly 3 years old; it is an Asus M2N 68 AM
plus mother board.  The other disk too is a SATA one, only 80 Gigs,
and is about 6 years or more old (reused the old disk in the new
system). The DVD r/w drive is IDE.

Questions:-

1. Is this a problem with the MoBo / BIOS?
2. Is there a problem with the new disk?
3. How safe is it to tell the BIOS to ignore boot up errors (there is
   an option somewhere in the BIOS to "halt on errord" - currently enabled)
4. How to identify  the error BIOS is getting?

Anything else I can do here?

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
Free Software - it is free as in FREEDOM